News

JoCo Cruise Crazy: Huge Success?

As I’ve mentioned in a few places, everyone had such a great time that we’re all thinking we’d like to do it again sometime. I know a lot of you couldn’t make it this time around for various reasons, money, schedule, general lack of faith that it was going to be awesome, etc. We’d like to make the next one even bigger and better and easier for people to join us, so please take this short survey (only 8 questions!) and let us know your thoughts.

16 Comments

1. Bill Stiteler
    Posted January 14, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

2. Bill Stiteler
    Posted January 14, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

Not sure if the survey is being submitted: I clicked “finish survey” and nothing seems to happen.

3. Posted January 14, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

You can find us on Twitter – @jayeofmanyhats and @ohtalloneKSV

4. Geoffrey Engelstein
    Posted January 14, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

If it didn’t fall the week it did, JoCoCruiseCrazy would have been the vacation of a lifetime for our family. Alas!

5. Posted January 14, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

I clicked the Finish button, but it didn’t appear to actually do anything… no confirmation that it submitted, etc. So… I clicked again. Same thing. Broken? Working but poor feedback? Doesn’t like my browser?

6. Aaron Schatzer
    Posted January 14, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

Let’s do it again soon! And come to Portland, they just upgraded Ground Kontrol and we’ll buy you beers!

Thanks!

7. Posted January 14, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

Not sure this is submitting with Chrome. I click submit, and it appears to be doing something, but then it seems to reload the last page of the survey.

8. Tina
    Posted January 14, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

Like everyone else said: clicked finish and nothing happened. Broken or just bad page design?

9. Joco
    Posted January 14, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

Aha. If you didn’t get a message that said “Survey Completed” try clicking the Finish button again. I messed something up. AS USUAL.

10. Jerry
    Posted January 14, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

I just finished the survey and got a “Survey Completed,” so if you’re not getting that, it might not have worked for you.

I was one of the folks who really wanted to be there and wasn’t able to make it. Normally, early January would be great for my schedule, but there were some complicating factors at the office this year that made it impossible for me to get away. Next time, though? Totally there.

11. Posted January 14, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

JoCo, did you write the survey software yourself, in VB or something? Geez, don’t give up your day job. ;^)

I only just discovered the survey, and it worked for me.

12. Posted January 15, 2011 at 10:01 am | Permalink

I forgot to mention this on the survey, but I know there were a lot of Song Fu vets and other talented people in your audience. So I was thinking, it would be nice to have one of the concerts as an ‘inverse/capsized JoCo Cruise Crazy’, in which regular sea monkeys perform to an audience of sea silverbacks. Kind of like the inverted CERN Schools of Computing: csc.web.cern.ch/CSC/Left_menu_items_permanent/iCSCs/Inverted_Schools.htm

only more fun.

In some ways it would be similar to the JoKaraoke, but people could perform their own songs or perform things other than songs, and it would be on the Main Stage at a normal concert time (or maybe not, depending on whether we want to give up a famous-person concert; but one of the coolest things about the cruise was interacting with the other sea monkeys, so it’d be interesting to see what they can do, and it might be a great opportunity for those who have never had the chance to perform for an audience. You said it yourself, we’re a pretty supportive audience even when the karaoke singers suck. And I’m certain that many of the sea monkeys are very far from sucking.)

For some reason I’m averse to calling this a talent show.

13. Mike
    Posted January 16, 2011 at 11:51 am | Permalink

Seeing videos from this cruise make me so sad. I’d love to go on a cruise, but I’m a college student with no job. The chances of me being able to go on the next one, even if a year or 2 away, are incredibly slim.

14. Graham
    Posted January 19, 2011 at 9:05 am | Permalink

Angela I totally support that idea. I don’t think it should supersede a potential headlining act though. We could have it after dinner like we did the karaoke etc. But 2+ hours of Sea Monkey talent would be welcome. :D

15. Chris Fenwick
    Posted January 19, 2011 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

I think next year, you should add nighttime Astronomy guided tours of the night sky… I volunteer my services for a couple free tickets!

16. Ray S
    Posted January 25, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

I always try to stargaze on cruises, but there are usually too many lights. The back of the ship pool area was better than most, but there’s still a lot of light to your back.